Have difficulties in bringing your pet to the veterinarian?
Basic Puppy Training
- Crate Training
- Enroll in a basic puppy class or get a good book/video
- Sit and Stay
- Familiarization of your dog with all body parts being touched
- Dogs like a den
- Creating a safe place
- It’s not punitive (It’s their space)
- Treats as a reward
- Attributes of a crate trained dog
- Potty training
- Riding in cars
Familiarization of your dog with all body parts being touched
The Car Ride
- Safe and Secure
- Car Seat
Barrier and Harness
Conditioning your dog to the car – Step One
- Incremental steps of positive reinforcement gradually working the dog inside the car.
Conditioning your dog to the car – Step Two
Conditioning your dog to the car – Step Three: short drive to fun
Conditioning your dog to the car – Step Four
Trial run to the veterinarian office for treats and petting.
- Young vestibular system, many dogs outgrow it.
- Forward facing – ability to see out of front of car to assist in orientation. Open the window
- Fear is leading cause; train and remain calm
Arrival at the Veterinarian Office
- Check your stress at the door, before you leave.
- Check in at the front desk
- Always on leash
Getting on the Scale
Practice this at home folks!
- On the exam table or on the floor
- Lots of treats
- Stand in front of dog while allowing technician and veterinarian to hold or handle your dog
- Don’t corner your dog – keeping the dog out of the corners
- Remain calm
Getting on the table. Get out of the corner.
When your dog is jumping and going crazy, just freeze, stop all movement until dog learns nothing happens until they calm.